Re: dakota body lift/ rearend ratio.

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 15:40:27 EDT

  Plus i dont want to
 look likea dork with a 3 bodylift and 33 when 35 should be there. I think
 have a high gearing already and dont want to regear for 35. how can i find
 my gear ratio without opening the diff. can find no tag in glovebox or
 underhood. any ideas. or suggestions. Sorry No Pics On my websiteyet got to
 get my mom to takeit to work to scan the pics. thanks travis

>>Here's how to determine your rear end ratio without opening the rearend.
First, jack the back of the truck up off the ground, so that both rear wheels
are off the ground. (Use jack stands for safety). With the trans in neutral,
have one person rotate one of the rear wheels, while someone else counts the
number of revolutions that the driveshaft makes. Do this for several
rotations (10 is a handy number), so as to make the count more accurate.

Example - if you rotate the wheel 10 times, and the driveshaft turns 32
times, you have 3.20 gears. If you rotate the wheel 10 times and the
driveshaft turns 35-1/2 times, you have 3.55 gears, etc.

People will tell you that you can do this by only rotating the tire once, but
it is much less accurate than rotating the tire multiple times and dividing
the number of driveshaft rotations by the number of wheel rotations.