Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 8 1/4 axle

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 19:37:11 EDT

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 TommFern@aol.com wrote:

> The the problem with magazines, is they never actually test their theories. I
> can tell you from my experience that I have beaten the dog out of my 8 1/4.
> First with a blower and drag radials, then with a ported top end and 150NX
> with slicks, and now with a built 360 and even more gas. That's sprayed off
> the line with 1.70 60 ft. I've got a picture of the truck pulling the left
> front wheel of the ground. 5 years of abuse and no failure. The reason? YOU
> MUST RUN AN AUTOMATIC IF YOU WANT IT TO LAST! I have friend whose broken his
> twice with far less power.( Of course he side steps the clutch at 5 grand
> with N2O and slicks) Preloading the axles, ring gear,etc is paramount to
> making it live. My second combo put out 450 RWHP and a lot more TQ. The
> current set up a lot more. The rear is still taking it.
> Tom(11s dak)

    Yep, what you're saying makes sense... I figure I've only got
about 270hp at the moment (235 at the rear wheels), but I've already
blown up my rearend once (3.55 sure-grip). I usually launch at somewhere
between idle and 1,000rpm. (I've got a 5-speed.)

   So what times are you running currently? Or haven't you got it tuned
yet? (Didn't you used to live in Texas?) You need to get that Dak
up on the DragTruk page, so we can get some more Mopar iron in the
top spots! :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |