Re: dakota body lift with suspension lift

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 09:07:48 EDT

The 4" Trailmaster suspension kit requires with alot of negative offset
(meaning very little backspacing). If I recall correctly the backspacing
requirements for that kit was like 1 7/8" max. If I understood his problem
correctly, the tires are hitting the fenders on the back edge of the wheel
wells. Less backspacing will increase that problem because less backspacing
creates more lateral movement when turning (the front tires don't piviot,
they swing). I too have the same problem with the tires rubbing slightly.
However my setup is different. I have the 3" body lift with 31x10.50s on my
Dakota. To date, I've never been able to find a suspension kit for a pre-91
Dakota which in the end will cause me to take other more extreme measures to
lift the truck. I would do the body lift if I were him.

Here is a cople of Pics off my webpage:

This truck had 33"s with a 4" suspension kit. I know the owner has added the
3" body lift since this photo was taken.
http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/Aug17_01.jpg

This one has both a 3" body and 4" suspension with 33"s. I don't think it
looks stupid at all.
http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/Bloomsburg-99-022.jpg

Here's another one with a 2" body and 4" suspension.
http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/Bloomsburg-99-028.jpg

I even have some shots of one with 35"s.

I spoke with two of these guys and neither had any complaints about ride or
handling.

>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:38:54 EDT
>From: "Dave Scelfo" <macncheesemonster@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: DML: dakota body lift
>
>snip...
>I want 33's not 35's should i go only with a 2 body lift.
> >Also when i purchased the truck there was severe rubbing with the tire
>and
> >as i can go maybe 32 but i dont want a set of cut tires. Plus i dont
>want
> >look likea dork with a 3 bodylift and 33 when 35 should be there.
>...snip
>
> Custom wheels will solve this problem. Just order them with less
>backspacing (say 2"). Its a little tougher on your wheel bearings but it
>looks so damned cool with the tires stickin out. If you need a
>recommendation for a wheel builder I know a great one. It might cost a
>slight more that these AR767s that seem to be the rage on this list.... and
>I think you get your choice of spoke or modular.
> I really havent gotten a close look at anything on the Dak yet (still
>waiting) but if its a compression shackle in the rear, the easiest way to
>gain some lift is with a longer shackle. I think I remember reading that
>the lowered guys on the list have longer shackles, which makes me think its
>a tension shackle.... I'll stop my babbling here. Maybe I atleast helped
>with the wheel thing.
>
>- --
>Dave

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4 and 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM