Re[2]: 4x4 meet in jersey

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 10:28:31 EDT

Are there descriptions of trails somewhere or is this somebody's private
stomping grounds?
Tom

Subject: Re: DML: 4x4 meet in jersey
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: 10/21/99 1:54 AM

Wharton is about 30 mins north of Atlantic City.
 You are just about in the middle of both, I'm in parlin (Sayreville).
Birewall (under the dash) I ran the
wire up to the bracket for the bike computer, which I mounted on the
steering wheel tilt lever. It turned out to be a very clean installation
with the computer in full view within the steering wheel. Total
installation time (waiting for epoxy glue to dry, etc.) was about 45
minutes.

Additional notes / tips:

Once everything is installed, you need to calibrate the computer by entering
the circumference of the tire. I found the easiest way to measure
circumference is to put a piece of tape on the tire and line it up with a
piece of tape on the ground (shop floor or driveway). Roll the tire twice
and mark (with another piece of tape) on the ground where the tape on the
tire lines up again. Measure the distance between the 2 pieces of tape on
the ground and divide by two (since you rolled the tire twice for a more
accurate measurement). Whatever you measure in must be converted to mm
since that is what the computer recognizes. Then, divide that measurement
by 1.6 to get mph, or leave as is to get kmph. Enter that number into the
computer (very simple procedure) and you are ready to roll!

I use the same computer on the 3 vehicles mentioned above. I simply enter
the tire circumference of whatever vehicle I'm using and I'm set. The
computer itself pops in and out of the brackets, so is easily moved from
vehicle to vehicle.

Installation procedures can vary quite a bit. The main thing is to have the
sensor within 5mm of the magnet -this is according to the computer
installation instructions; however, since I'm using a much stronger magnet,
I may be able to increase that distance.

I looked at several different bike computers before I decided on the Sigma
BC800. I chose the Sigma because it can handle a simple robust installation
(some computers require several magnets or that a 'special' magnet be lined
up (polarized) with the sensor) and I knew it was good up to 183 mph.

Disadvantages of a bike computer:
There is no backlight, so you can't see the display at night. One option is
to use a small map light or similar light to shine on the readout at night
(I've seen these in auto parts stores). Another option is to just figure
out the error between your accurate bike computer and the factory
speedometer, then correct for the factory speedo at night. For example, if
the factory speedo reads 5mph too fast at 65mph according to the bike
speedo, then simply drive 70mph in a 65mph zone (according to your factory
speedo!).

Also, the bike computer (at least my Sigma BC800) has a very slight lag
during acceleration. This really isn't a problem since I'm mainly
interested in the speed I'm maintaining while cruising.