Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: Tom T (turlington@juno.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 21:28:19 EDT

Mine's also in MD. Two TSB's were performed on mine (reset distributor
sync and reroute wiring). They told me there's no more TSB's and nothing
else that can be done. High Octane all but eliminated the problem, but
I'm not convinced (based on what I've read in the past) that's a good
idea (reduced mileage and carbon buildup, not to mention extra expense).

If I take mine back one more time and it still can't be fixed, I can
invoke the lemon law. But I wonder if it's worth it for a pinging
problem. Wouldn't bad pinging hurt resale value?

>From: mastres@id.ucsb.edu (Tony Mastres)
>To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>Subject: Re: DML: Ping and Rattle problems
>Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:53:25 -0700
>
> >I have a '99 4x4 with a 3.9 V6 and 13,600 miles.
> >
> >Some time ago, it started "pinging" around 1600 RPM. Eventually, it
also
> >pinged around
> >3000, then spread almost any RPM. It starts after about 20 minutes of
> >driving and only
> >pings while moving, never in neutral. The loudness has increased to
> >unbearable levels
> >(sounds like it's all gonna fall apart). I call it knocking or
rattling
> >now.
> >
>I've had the exact same problem for about 6 months with no resolution.
>have found that higher octane gas will reduce but not eliminate the
>problem. The oddest diagnosis was that something in the California
>emissions packacge was causing it. I really dont know enough about it to
>believe or discount this theory but I was wondering if this is a
California

From: "Erika Ipes" <msbavior@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DML: Ping and Rattle problems

Nope. I don't have any california emmisions on my truck ( I'm in MD) and
my
truck pings too. I'll post the TSB #'s just as soon as I get them so
everyone can check out there problem.

Erika