Re: New member question on 4.7

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 00:25:46 EDT

I don't think the 4.7L will be a bad engine. It's already been in the Jeep
Grand Cherokees for a year and they haven't had any service problems, TSB's,
or recalls on 'em - pretty good stats for a first-year production run of an
all-new engine. I also think there is a lot of power potential hidden in
the 4.7L (Ford's OHC 3.9L V8 that they put in their Lincolns is pumping out
around 252hp), DC merely has to open up the power potential when the time is
right (read: competition and stronger driveline components).

The 5.2L, OTOH, has had some problems with leaking intaken manifold gaskets,
slack in the timing gear chain, and detonation problems. These problems
don't occur on all 5.2L engines, but enough to make you take notice. On the
bright side, the 5.2L has PLENTY of R&D, parts, accessories and know-how to
back it up.

As far as the R/T is concerned, I've heard that it can still tow pretty
heavy loads - DC's engineers felt that prolonged towing of weights greater
than 2000 lbs. might cause premature wear on some of the driveline
components and/or frame. It sounds like they were taking a very
conservative approach. If you only occasionally tow 7000lbs., I wouldn't
worry about over-working the driveline/frame of the truck, unless you are
just really concerned about warranty problems.

p.s. - how do you like that '66 FuryIII? I learned to drive in a '67 Fury
VIP and a '67 Fury III - both cars were 383-2V 4-doors, but were a blast to
drive! And..... they only weighed 3700lbs, same as my '92 Dakota :)

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate