Re: check engine light on????

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 07:55:37 EDT

At 03:27 AM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I got a new problem with my R/T and thought maybe one of you late night
>mechanics might know the answer. I was driving up I75 yesterday towards
>Flint......go to pass a semi when all of a sudden the engine bogs
>down.....check engine light starts blinking..??? Now I'm about 200 miles
>over do for an oil change so that can't be it. I pull over at a gas
>station....check the oil....a little low...no biggie....added some more and
>off I went. Now the engine bogs when ever I punch the gas....the check
>engine light is staying on. I pull over again and the temp gauge starts
>reading above the 210 mark. I check the coolant reserve...a little low so I
>add some water....let it cool off....and on I go again. Still the same
>problem....the gauges read hot....then the next minute ok. No power when I
>punch it and it sounds like the motor is being muffled.....no rumble out
>that 3 inch exhaust like it had just a short while ago!! Any ideas....it's
>going to the shop tomorrow!! Thanks!

It sounds like the computer is getting some type of input causing it to
go into limp mode. I went into limp mode once when my battery died
and experienced your description (bog/no power with the pedal/muffled
exhaust/finally shutdown). Sounds like something is causing the engine
to overheat... tstat problem? ... any codes? ... too risky to drive that
way until you can find out why.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.
Racing weight: 4,350lb ET: 14.934 Trap speed: 90.78 mph