First Drag strip test for the 4.7L!!!!!!!

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@EARTHTECH.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 09:09:29 EDT

Hey, We had pretty good turn out at the Mopar Show at Virginia Motorsports
Park Saturday.
Only 4 Dakotas showed up, No DML'rs other than me. So anyway I had to see
what my new 2000 RC Sport Plus 2wd 4.7L 3.92 posi 5 spd. would do!! It was
very windy, atleast a 20 mph head wind! also it was about 55 degrees and
very dry! So off I go to the staging line, my truck is all stock with 1100
miles on it, didn't even let any air out of the tires! I launched the truck
just above idle, my first run posted a 15.134 @ 89.23 mph and 60' times at
2.195!! I was very happy with that!!
next runs went like this 15.149, 15.181, 15.180, and a 15.390 with lots of
wheel hop/spin!
Pretty damn consistent for a 5 speed, I was very pleased with the results
especially with a 20 mph head wind, no wind and I'm close to a 14.99!! So
now I have a baseline and next I will put spring clamps and traction bars, 3
inch exhaust, also air intake modifications and either slicks or let some
air out of the stock tires. Anyway, I think with a little tweaking and very
little money spent, I'm most definitely in the 14.4 to 14.7 range!! YEEE
HAAAA AND SHE AINT BROKE IN GOOD YET !!

HAIL TO THE 4.7L, she is a screamer!!! Also, the rumor about the 4.7L and
no throttle cable is not true for the Dakota, My truck has a throttle cable
on it!!! DC must have changed their minds!

Matt Barret