RE: RE: RE: RE: : questions on roller rockers...attn GS

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Mon Oct 25 1999 - 17:28:02 EDT

GS,

Sounds like you have a problem with one or a couple of your lifters leaking
down. You can adjust them again, but given the fact that they get quite, I
don't think adjustment is going to help. Your lash adjustment does sound a
little light to me so I would try adjusting them again. All hydraulic
lifters that I am familiar with require a pre-load of between .020 -.060
inch. This adjustment can be performed hot or cold (it doesn't matter). I
prefer to set lifters with the engine off because you don't need to worry
about the oil flying all over the place. To do the adjustment, place the
lifter that you want to adjust on the heal of the cam, back off the rocker
so that it is loose, let it set for a couple of minutes, (lifter needs to
extend the plunger all the way against the stop), tighten the rocker while
spinning the pushrod, once resistance is felt, you are a zero clearance. If
the rocker arm studs are 3/8-24, you have 24 full turns of the rocker arm
nut to move down 1 inch, for every full turn of the nut, you will pre-load
the lifter approx. .041 inch. ( one inch / 24 turns - inch). I try to run
pre-load right around .040 inch so one complete turn of the nut is required
once zero clearance is achieved. Perform the above adjustment on all
lifters. Make sure of the thread pitch on the studs that you are running.

        Frank