Re: MPI Manifold

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 14:37:39 EDT

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Bob Tom wrote:

> At 10:06 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
> > <snip>
> > That's why I am planning on putting together a kit to truely
> >make this thing a bolt-on, as if you take the DIY route, there's
> >a lot of running around to do before you can get 'er up and running.
>
> Jon, any idea if this installation will pass a sniffer test?

  Hmmm... Well, to be honest with you, I can't say yes or no for
sure, but here's what I do know...

 The down side:

   The MPI is sold as an off-road part only. I suspect this has
more to do with changing such an intregral part of the emissions
system, what with the PCV and all, more than its ability to pass a
sniffer though. So, if you get someone who is feeling ornery and
actually has a clue about Mopar engines, then it might not pass a
visual.

 The up side:

    Brad is using an M1 drilled for injectors (same thing as the MPI)
on his Kammer & Kammer motor, and that was built to be California
emissions legal, so that tells me yes, it probably will pass
a sniffer. (Unless they're using some sort of loophole? Brad,
can you shed any light on this?)

> > As far as wether its worth it or not, IMHO, absolutely. =)
> >The manifold did take away some low end, (ok by me as I didn't mind
> >a little less low-end to help in the traction department) but once the
> >RPMs get up to about 3K or so, it pulls like nobody's business. My
> >ETs dropped from 14.8s and 14.9s to 14.5s. My best time so far is a
> >14.55@94.14, but I have run 14.55 on a run where I missed a shift, so
> >its got more in it.
>
> Is there a dual plane MPI? I think you have a single plane.

  Yep, its a single plane. There is a dual plane M1, but I don't
think there is a dual plane MPI.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |