RE: MPI Manifold

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 14:48:51 EDT

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Wisotzkey, Rich wrote:

> The current MPI version of the M1 intake is a single-plane intake. But
> there is a dual-plane M1 available. The part number is P5249500. You would
> need to buzz the bosses on the runners just like the single-plane version,
> but this would give you a like dual-plane.
> Rich - Ashburn, VA

   On a related note, what if someone were to weld a piece of aluminum
down the middle of the M1, either lengthwise to group cylinders
1,3,5,7 and 2,4,6,8 or longitudnaly(sp?) such that you group
cylinders 1,3,2,4 and 5,7,6,8?

  Or is there more to it than that?

  Hey, here's a thought... Assuming it IS as simple as that, then
rather than welding a plate in there, what about cutting a slit along
the bottom of the manifold, and having a plate that can slide in and
out, through that slit (sealed by rubber or some type of foam
so loss of vaccum isn't a problem). That way, the plate is usually
up, so that it divides the manifold into a 2 plane, then hook a
little motor up to it such that at a certain RPM (2500-3000?), the
little motor slides the plate down and out of the manifold to
effectifely create a single plane manifold. Lots of torque on
the low end, lots of HP on the high end! Two manifolds in one!
Whatddya think? (No, I have not been smoking crack; this nonsense
comes to me naturally.) ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |