RE: MPI Manifold

From: Mtbfed@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 22:53:37 EDT

>> The current MPI version of the M1 intake is a single-plane intake. But
>> there is a dual-plane M1 available. The part number is P5249500. You
would
>>need to buzz the bosses on the runners just like the single-plane version,
>>but this would give you a like dual-plane.
>> Rich - Ashburn, VA
>>

> On a related note, what if someone were to weld a piece of aluminum
>down the middle of the M1, either lengthwise to group cylinders
>1,3,5,7 and 2,4,6,8 or longitudnaly(sp?) such that you group
>cylinders 1,3,2,4 and 5,7,6,8?
>
> Or is there more to it than that?
>
> Hey, here's a thought... Assuming it IS as simple as that, then
>rather than welding a plate in there, what about cutting a slit along
>the bottom of the manifold, and having a plate that can slide in and
>out, through that slit (sealed by rubber or some type of foam
>so loss of vaccum isn't a problem). That way, the plate is usually
>up, so that it divides the manifold into a 2 plane, then hook a
>little motor up to it such that at a certain RPM (2500-3000?), the
>little motor slides the plate down and out of the manifold to
>effectifely create a single plane manifold. Lots of torque on
>the low end, lots of HP on the high end! Two manifolds in one!
>Whatddya think? (No, I have not been smoking crack; this nonsense
>comes to me naturally.) ;-)

Jon, that is not a bad idea at all. As a matter of fact my wifes VR6 powered
VW Passat has an intake manifold as you discribe. never had it apart though
to see how it works. Maybe check out some VW mags. to see how they do it.
But there is an electric motor that alters the runner length...

Marc Federici
99 SLT+ CC 5.2 5sp 4x2 3.55sg