RE: Re: Re: Magnum Intake manifold...More than 1 way to mod??

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 19:37:18 EDT

There has been a lot of talk about intake manifold mods, replacement, etc.
Here is the straight scoop. The factory manifold has been tuned for low
bottom end torque. There have been mods performed on it like removing the
divider, shortening the runners, and so on, and so on, and so on. When the
runners are shortened, airflow within the manifold is disturbed, to the
point where without a lot of filling and flow bench work, the modified
manifolds actually flow less. You can get the flow back but it takes a LOT
of work. Even with this work, the gains are really not that significant. A
better choice is the MPI a.k.a. M-1 manifold. The M-1 is the best SB
Chrysler manifold made. There are others that develop greater peak HP, but
none have the powerband that the M-1 has. The M-1 comes on at approx. 2,500
and will continue to flow way past 6,000 RPM. The only disadvantage is that
they aren't legal for use on the street, and there is some work to make them
fit on the Magnum engine. They make gobs of power and with the proper cam
selection, they just get better. They are cheap as compared to the cost of
making the factory work better. The smog issue, all I can say about this, it
doesn't take that long to swap intakes..........

        My two cents - Frank