M1 dyno verified Hp #s on a 360& observations

From: TommFern@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 17:03:27 EDT

  I got some good tidbits of info from my buddy in Houston who has a dak. He
runs the crate motor shortblock ($1200) with 10.5 to1 compr. with Hughes
stage 2 heads(265/210 flow #s @.50). Cam=218/224 dur @ .50 with .512/.522
lift.,1.6RRs, Doug Thor. headers, single 3 " exhaust,no cat,MP comp,stock t
body!
   Intake: EXTRUDED HONED stocker= 300 RWHP, 355TQ
            : M1 intake with same mods= 330RWHP, 380TQ * HP remained at 330
              6600RPM!
    Observations:
         This intake clearly loves compression and cubes. I ran it on my 318
with adequate results, but when I put it on my built 360 with 10.5to1 comp.
Wow! It pulls very hard. In fact, I can't put it to the floor until past
45mph or I'll smoke em. I also noticed much less drop in TQ with the 360 in
low rpms. I theorize that the compression and cubes really aides in port
velocity at low rpms.
     My big problem with the M1 on a dak is the computer. To REALLY take
advantage of the M1 you need a cam matched to it. The problem is supposedly
the computer won't accept the duration the M1 needs,(like a 235-245 dur
@.50) There's a reason why the low compr, stock magnum headed crate motor
makes "380 hp". Its the cam.( actually most say it makes 400+ once broken in
and tuned)
     The relatively small cams made for daks will start to run out of
breath just as the intake is really starting to get going! A classic
mismatch. I know some of you guys are going to say,yea, but look at the
increases. My answer would be because the stocker is sooo bad and the M1 so
good. I believe, you haven't seen anything yet until someone puts a real
cam behind it. In fact, that's just what I'm going to do over the winter. I
want to see for myself how far I can push the computer in terms of cam
duration. My other buudy,Jason, on the dragtruk page, runs a 230 duration
without any trouble. I'm going to try in the 235 area.
Tom(11s dak)