Multi-Spark Ignition Installation

From: hoffman@acd.net
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 20:53:27 EDT

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the installation of aftermarket multi-spark
ignition units that I'm trying to install in my 1990 D150 3.9L V-6. It has
a Hall Effect distributor.

I recently bought used units (both a Crane HI-6 and a MSD-6A) and I can't
tell if I've bought bad units or if I'm hooking them up wrong.

I've followed the installation instructions that they have on the web sites
for installing their products. I am using the diagrams on the web sites to
hook up the wires that was going to the coil to multi-spark box, and then
the wires from the box go to the coil. Seemed to be relatively easy and
straightforward. But neither box worked.

Then I noticed in Mopar Muscle that they were installing a MSD unit in an
older pickup and they had to do some hunting to find a 12v keyed hot wire
for theirs as opposed to just using the wires that originally went to the
coil. Why didn't they use the wires that originally went to the coil to
hook up to the MSD box?

So, my question is, do I need to find a different wire to trigger these
units like Mopar Muscle did, or did I buy two bad units?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob Hoffman

1990 D150S RC SB V6, 5spd, 3.91