Re: Multi-Spark Ignition Installation

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 18:35:50 EDT

At 08:53 PM 10/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I recently bought used units (both a Crane HI-6 and a MSD-6A) and I can't
>tell if I've bought bad units or if I'm hooking them up wrong.
>
>I've followed the installation instructions that they have on the web sites
>for installing their products. I am using the diagrams on the web sites to
>hook up the wires that was going to the coil to multi-spark box, and then
>the wires from the box go to the coil. Seemed to be relatively easy and
>straightforward. But neither box worked.
>
>Then I noticed in Mopar Muscle that they were installing a MSD unit in an
>older pickup and they had to do some hunting to find a 12v keyed hot wire
>for theirs as opposed to just using the wires that originally went to the
>coil. Why didn't they use the wires that originally went to the coil to
>hook up to the MSD box?
>
>So, my question is, do I need to find a different wire to trigger these
>units like Mopar Muscle did, or did I buy two bad units? Bob Hoffman

Mopar Muscle also has an install article for Crane's Ignition System
(May 99). It mentions in their step 6 finding a keyed 12-volt source
as well. There are 3 wires coming off the universal trigger; 2 go to
the pigtail for the ignition box, and the thired goes to a keyed 12-
volt source, which is located in the underhood fuse panel on the
driver side of the engine bay.

Make sure that your grounds are good. Hope this helps.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.
Racing weight: 4,350lb ET: 14.934 Trap speed: 90.78 mph