Re: RE: VIN # Registry!!!!!! PLEASE READ

From: TREMAIN LYNNE (bmbl-b1@home.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 06:16:26 EDT

Ok guys (and gals) I'll try to get the ball rolling on what I believe IS
a good idea,
our truck is a 1999 dakota sport cc 4x4 5.2 auto and solar yellow
according to the month,day,hour code on the identification sticker on
the drivers door pillar it's 110307 meaning it rolled of the assembly
line November 3rd at 7 am 1998 and no real problems YET. The MDH code is
located on the bottom left hand corner of the sticker. This MDH code
should be on all the gen. III dakotas. I can't remember which plant it
is, but to my knowledge ALL dakotas even the ones built for the Canadian
market are built at the same plant. How many production lines are at
this plant I couldn't tell you but this should give the DML a very good
idea if there is a correlation to production versus problems with our
trucks.

I'm not trying to kill this idea, but I knew a guy that went to a used
car lot wrote down the VIN of a car on the lot, and managed to get a
bank loan using that car as collateral. The bank did not ask for proof
of ownership just proof that their collateral was insured. In the
province of Alberta if the car was previously owned in Alberta and less
than 10 years old the insurance companies don't ask for proof of
ownership or even ask to see the vehicle. They just see the bottom line
$$$$, this is the reason I personally don't like the idea of my VIN
being posted on the net. Please nobody take offense to what I'm saying
here, I have found that the DML as a whole to be a very honest and
helpful group but there are dishonest people on the net and ANYBODY has
access to the DML home page (as they should). There are also reasons
most members make sure the license plates of their vehicles are obscured
on their home pages (can you say PEACE OF MIND!!!! sorry had to say it).

One last thing if we used the month,day,hour data from our
identification stickers
this should create a lot less work for our hard working founding member
John, as the amount of time building a data base without security
measures (I'm assuming) would be a lot less work. It should also make
entering the data a lot more user friendly for us computer illiterate
people such as myself, and therefore a little more incentive and
motivation to list our problems

Thanks for listening
Dave T.
99 Solar Yellow CC 4x4

Henry Hagemeier wrote:

> GREAT idea. I would like to see this also.
>
> Henry
> San Antonio
> 2K Sport CC 4.7 5sp 4x2 3.55sg Solar Yellow

  please lets try and get this going???