Re: Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 18:46:50 EDT

>If you are going to make a statement like that which will eventually lead
>someone blowing up their truck, would you be kind enough to let us in on
>your reasoning. Pinging is not good PERIOD it happens when the piston is
>going one way and an explosion is trying to push it another way and it
>can't
>go that way because the rod is still pushing the piston upwards.

   I dont know where you read that pinging only occurs on the compression
stroke, but you're wrong. In fact, auto ignition can occur anywhere in the
piston's travels. It's actually very much welcome if it occurs around TDC
because you get that extra energy in a constant volume situation. So to say
pinging is not good period, you're absolutely wrong.

What
>reasoning did you use to deduce that this is not a bad thing.
>Another point is what difference does speed make? the engine is under more
>load in higher gears. why do you think it takes more time for the engine to
>climb from 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm in 3rd gear than it does in 1st gear?

     I'm not sure what you're saying. Engine load is completely independent
of speed. The engine is not under higher loads at higher speeds. I'm not
sure why you'd think this but its really not relevant to the conversation
anyway, so I'll save it for another time.
     Pinging generally occurs in low speed, high throttle applications. The
reasons are:
1] very little turbulence in the combustion chamber (turbulence is good)
2] Time! The faster the engine is spinning, the less time the mixture
spends in the combusion chamber, the less time it has to heat up. Heat is
the major cause of the engine knock.

Don't get me wrong, knock isn't good. If your engine knocks when you step
on the gas out of a stop light, you've got major problems. Otherwise, it
can usually be alleviated.

--
Dave