Re: Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: nosdakota (nosdakota@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 20:29:03 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Scelfo <macncheesemonster@hotmail.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 1999 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: DML: Re: Ping and Rattle problems

> I dont know where you read that pinging only occurs on the compression
> stroke, but you're wrong. In fact, auto ignition can occur anywhere in
the
> piston's travels. It's actually very much welcome if it occurs around TDC
> because you get that extra energy in a constant volume situation. So to
say
> pinging is not good period, you're absolutely wrong.

that's what controling the timing is for, I don't want "autoignition" at
anytime. It should be controled..
With the exeption of a deisel when would detonation be a good thing?

> I'm not sure what you're saying. Engine load is completely
independent
> of speed. The engine is not under higher loads at higher speeds. I'm not
> sure why you'd think this but its really not relevant to the conversation
> anyway, so I'll save it for another time.

I believe you brought up speed and high load, my point was that high load
can occur at any speed

> Pinging generally occurs in low speed, high throttle applications.
The
> reasons are:
> 1] very little turbulence in the combustion chamber (turbulence is good)
> 2] Time! The faster the engine is spinning, the less time the mixture
> spends in the combusion chamber, the less time it has to heat up. Heat is
> the major cause of the engine knock.

I agree

> Don't get me wrong, knock isn't good. If your engine knocks when you step
> on the gas out of a stop light, you've got major problems. Otherwise, it
> can usually be alleviated.

that was the point of this thread, to alleviate pinging in someone's motor,
but now I forget who.

> --
> Dave

Joe W.