Re: RE: 318 Hop Up, Heads VS NOS

From: nosdakota (nosdakota@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 1999 - 16:40:57 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Scelfo <macncheesemonster@hotmail.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 1999 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: DML: RE: 318 Hop Up, Heads VS NOS

> >In a message dated 10/30/99 11:05:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> >bernd@texas.net writes:
> >
> ><< Seriously, it's the best bang for the buck...
> >
> > Although you run almost the same problems with Nitrous as you do with a
> > Supercharger: Heat, detonation, proper fuel enrichment, etc. But for
> >the
> > money, you can't beat the HP increases.
> > >>
> >Correct me if you can, There is more to it than that...have you ever seen
> >NO2
> >offered on a vehicle from the dealership (stock, no dealer add-ons)?
> >Bottles are for babies!!!
>
> Well, I'm not a huge fan of NO2 but I don't have a problem with it either.
> With a supercharger, your boost is dependent of engine speed. With NO2,
its
> not. Like I said about knock. If you apply NO2 at low speeds and high
> loads, kiss your engine(or tires) goodbye.

This is where multi stage systems and computers come in handy( I use the
Jacobs). they keep you from blowing shit up on the starting line.

> But if you know what you're doing, there really isnt much to be afraid of.
> The trick is, to know what you're doing!
> I'm not a NO2 expert but I think its gotten a bad name from what we
see
> on TV. Those NO2 powered drag cars run on the edge and thats a fine line.
> Playing with nitrous could be likened to changing your compression ratio.
> To make more power, you want to your compression ratio to be as high as
> possible.... go too high and POP! The thing is, Nitrous is adjustable and
> compression ratio is not. So when you push a motor beyond its limits, NO2
> gets the blame.

I agree completely. It is hard to stop yourself from putting in bigger jets.
especially when you get alot of runs in on one seting it's easy to say "I
think it can take a little more".

> I hope I'm not scaring anyone away from NO2. I think we can see why
> the dealer wouldn't install it. There's a great human factor involved and
> it takes a little intelligence to do right. While technology makes it
> increasingly easier/safer, its still a good idea to know whats going on
> before you dive in head first. I think the nitrous gang will agree with
me.

> --
> Dave
> 99 R/T
It just requires a little common sense and alot of self control. as long as
you keep the realistic limits of the motor in mind you will have no more
problems with nitrous than you would with any other mod.
Joe W.
87 Shelby Charger 13.9
98 Dakota 13.1