Re: RE: 318 Hop Up, Heads VS NOS

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 1999 - 15:40:22 EST

>In a message dated 10/30/99 11:05:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>bernd@texas.net writes:
>
><< Seriously, it's the best bang for the buck...
>
> Although you run almost the same problems with Nitrous as you do with a
> Supercharger: Heat, detonation, proper fuel enrichment, etc. But for
>the
> money, you can't beat the HP increases.
> >>
>Correct me if you can, There is more to it than that...have you ever seen
>NO2
>offered on a vehicle from the dealership (stock, no dealer add-ons)?
>Bottles are for babies!!!

Well, I'm not a huge fan of NO2 but I don't have a problem with it either.
With a supercharger, your boost is dependent of engine speed. With NO2, its
not. Like I said about knock. If you apply NO2 at low speeds and high
loads, kiss your engine(or tires) goodbye.
But if you know what you're doing, there really isnt much to be afraid of.
The trick is, to know what you're doing!
     I'm not a NO2 expert but I think its gotten a bad name from what we see
on TV. Those NO2 powered drag cars run on the edge and thats a fine line.
Playing with nitrous could be likened to changing your compression ratio.
To make more power, you want to your compression ratio to be as high as
possible.... go too high and POP! The thing is, Nitrous is adjustable and
compression ratio is not. So when you push a motor beyond its limits, NO2
gets the blame.
     I hope I'm not scaring anyone away from NO2. I think we can see why
the dealer wouldn't install it. There's a great human factor involved and
it takes a little intelligence to do right. While technology makes it
increasingly easier/safer, its still a good idea to know whats going on
before you dive in head first. I think the nitrous gang will agree with me.

--
Dave
99 R/T