Re: Valve Train Parts

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 1999 - 22:02:58 EST

At 02:45 PM 10/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
> <snip> He told me I could use the Pro Magnum full roller rocker arms
>from the Chevy on the Dodge Magnum. They also make a roller timing chain
>kit under #3203. Here are the part numbers that Compcams gave me:
>small block chev pro magnum roller rocker arms #1302-16, studs #4542-16,
>guide plates #4842-8, pushrods #7632. I forgot to ask him if the rocker
>arms came with the adjusting nuts or not, but if anybody is interested,
>they can be reached at 800 999 0853. I will be looking at maybe going
>this route over the winter as the Crower kit is ultra expensive here in
>Canada and from the pictures Ive seen of the MP/Crane kit, the guide
>plates look a little skimpy. Can you comment on this Bob Tom? Hope
>this info is useful... Pete

Hi, Pete ... how are you doing? Don't tell me that you're going to give
me a tough time next year at St. Thomas Dragway.

Sorry, I truthfully can't say anything about the guide plates in the MP kit
as I don't have anything to compare them with. I do remember reading
an article in Mopar Muscle about Wolverine's. Apparently, they are
suppose to be the cat's meow (stainless steel). Any MI DMLers have any
experience with them (I assume that they've in Michigan). If you like,
I can try to find that article for you. Let me know.

I find it difficult to sort out the marketing hype that is out there so
I tend to go with the MP products (CARB approval is a large factor in
my choice). I can only state my own personal experiences with the
MP products. I've pushed them pretty hard, mostly not of my own doing.
For example, the sticking gear problem from the Transgo kit while
manually shifting under WOT. Twice while in 1st the revs have gone
up to 6000 rpm. So far, since the install in July, cam and valve
train components have held up and performed as expected.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.
Racing weight: 4,350lb ET: 14.934 Trap speed: 90.78 mph