Re: Suzuki's

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 12:20:36 EST

This is exactly my point. I've seen Suzukis do very well
on trails, it's just that they are the ones that have
extesive modifications. The lugs on my Dakota's 9 1/4"
rear axle are about the same diameter as stock Suzuki
axles.

> You can spin 35s on a samurai. You better upgrade the
> axles but its
> possible. I'll dig up the picture.

The point was well made earlier when they said that it
depends on what you want to do. I'm sure your Suzuki CAN
go places my Dakota won't be able to follow (like between
trees 3 feet apart!), but my Dakota is very capable and I
could take you places that YOU wouldn't be able to follow.
Lets see your short wheelbase Suzuki climb a long, steep,
rocky hill. Long wheelbase vehicles rule that type of
stuff.

You're right for the most part. Tons of horsepower is not
required for most off-roading, but it sure helps. My
Dakota with the 5 speed has a crawl ratio of 42.54:1, not
too shabby. I'm sure yours is closer to 70:1, but with my
300 ft/lbs of torque compared to your 74 (about) It's not
that critcal, especially with the IFS I don't do tons of
rock crawling. I have a hunting vehicle called a COOT
(like an ARGO) it's 4WD, amphibious, and will pretty much
go anywhere as long as you don't need any speed. It only
has a 12 hp Techumseh(?) engine, but with a 173:1 low
range, it has plenty of power.

My point out of all this is that you can't make a statement
like "Suzuki's are THE BEST off-road vehicle, hands down"
(especially on a Dodge Dakota list) without being called on
it. I'm sure the Jeep, Toyota and Hummer guys would be
more brutal than we have been. Suzukis have their "niche",
but as I said before, there is no "best" off-road vehicle.

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's