Re: More Speakers = Louder?

From: FlashBang Fish (swatfish@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 01:18:20 EST

>I gotta question I have two JBL Power Series 5.25 in my Doors, at first
>theyseemed nice, then it seemed like they were distorting, then I made
>custom
>boxes behind, problem one fix, next problem is volume level. They jsut
>don't
>play loud, I think it's the lack of wattage (40 Max outa head unit, they
>can
>handle 120 Max) I am guessing some factory setups are louder because the
>speakers are rated right at the ehad unit's output. please help, Greg

      First question, are speakers firing into the rear of your seat? Make
sure that they aren't. Most head units boast that amount of watts at max
power. They normally run 7-15 watts nominal. You could get by with a 100
watt amp (50/2) and get the sound you are after. I have a Urban Audio Works
amp driving my 4 speakers at 75 watts (factory 6.5's in front with the
speaker attached amp bypassed and to boston 5 by 7's in pillars). They
sound great and are plenty loud. Also you may want to pickup a crossover to
cut out low bass to the 5.25's, they aren't designed to handle it. You may
want to look at a subwoofer too. Got two 8" fosgates running off fosgate 80
watt amp (bridged) and will make the truck rattle. If you don't have room
for a subwoofer, try a tactile transducer that attaches to the bottom of the
seat. It makes the rattle sans the sound pressure level. Anyways,
something to chew on.