Re: VIN Registry - Let me know what you think...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 20:33:52 EST

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Nate Johnson wrote:

> Awsome Jon! When do you want us to start sending you our info?! Now? Or
> is it still in the "production" stages?

   Yeah, I guess we're ready for prime time. I haven't gotten
any complaints, and a few people have already sent in their info.
The database now contains that info, and all the initial junk
is gone, so the VIN Registry is up and running!

  By the way, I got an e-mail from Mike Burgess who made a good
point about the awkwardness of navigating through the list in
certain instances (for example, looking for a specific problem
in trucks produced near the model year cuttoff point), so I added
a new feature. Here's a snippet from the e-mail I sent to Mike
that explains it:

   I've worked on the scripts some more, and added a new feature. Now,
at any "level", you can see the list of all trucks at that level and
below. For example, if you had browsed to 1998, 4x2, Club Cab, if
you looked at the list there, it whould show all 1998 4x2 Club Cabs,
no matter what engine they have or where they were built. If you
go up a level to 1998 4x2, it would show you all 1998 4x2 trucks,
no matter what bodystyle, engine, or plant... This works at
any level, so if you're at the top level where you pick the
years, hitting the link that reveals the list will show you every
single truck in the database. They are sorted by year first,
then line, bodystyle, engine, manufacturing plant, then build
sequence.

   Also, the browsing buttons are set up such that if you are
viewing the list, when you go up or down a level, the list will
be displayed for that level too. (So you don't have to keep
hitting the "show me the list" button at each level.) Likewise,
if the list is turned off, you won't see it when you browse to
another level. It can be turned on or off at any time, at any
level.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |