Buying a quick truck -vs- customizing

From: Mike Carter (Redgum@home.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 21:22:04 EST

 James Densteadt wrote:

> Well I love my truck but I want a faster stock truck or vehicle
> so I guess I'm glad I'm trading it in. Maybe I'll pick up that
> new 4.7L and see what she's got!

James: I thought about purchasing one of the new R/T's, but
after blowing off the doors of so many 97,98 & 99 model R/T's
with just a slightly modified 93 4x4 with a 5.2, I figured the
60-month investment wouldn't be worth it. I'm glad I didn't.

Instead, I've invested just 9 months of those same payments
into my already paid for 93 Dak. The result is an engine and
transmission combination that the store-bought boys can only
dream of.

If you look at any of these guys on the Web ring who have fast
and lean Dakotas, you will find almost all of the real quick Daks
have one thing in common: they put the time and energy into
customizing the systems over a period of time.

If you already have the 5.9 R/T, you have a decent start...a far
better start than I had. Get the truck paid off, then take that 5.9
and do what I and others have done - send it to ye olde speede
workes and have it transformed. You can go from the Federally
mandated wuss wagon it is now, into a power strokin slab of
octane sucking street terror with about $4500. That's 1/10th
the price of these new "speed" trucks... and much less if you do
some of the work yourself.

Don't settle for the quick fix - rebuild the engine the way it should
be from the factory - ditch the cheaply made parts and put in
some quality. Then if you want a blower or nitrous, you'll be
that much further ahead and way more reliable.

Cheers,
    -Mike

93 Dak 4x4 SLT 360cu 425Hp - Runs like a raped ape.