Re: Re: RE: RE: 318 Hop Up, Heads VS NOS

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 07:48:25 EST

At 10:00 PM 11/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
>what I mean is, I am installing all that. Do you think I can
>take it to 6. I'm not putting in new lifters, guideplates, or
>pushrods.

You'll probably know most of this but just in case ...

The heavy duty valve springs should solve valve float at
those high rpms. Prior to installing the MP cam/valve train
components, I went to 6000 rpm a few times due to a gear that
would not shift and got valve float.

There will be a lot of stress on the pushrods at those rpms.
>From what I've been told, the old LA engines would set up
a lot of vibrations problems (putting stress not only upwards
to the rockers but also downward to the cam because of the
way the pushrods are angled). The Magnums has changed the
way in which the components are lubed from the old 318/360s
but not the angles. Even with heavy duty lifters/pushrods/
guide plates/retainers, the angles have not been significantly
changed but the vibrations are cut down a lot.

My feeling is that you'll be able to run to 6000 but will put
a lot of stress (vibration and bending) on the stock pushrods/
lifters each time and they eventually go (IMHO, sooner than later).

Message 65 since Oct. 23/99.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.