RE: Spark Plugs and Direct Hitz

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun Nov 07 1999 - 14:35:16 EST

As for the Splitfires, some of their marketing is just that..."Hype".
However, from real-world experiences with them (since 1991), i've had
nothing but great success with them on 5.0L Mustangs (Paxton and
Non-Paxton), IROC Z's, Older Mopars, and especially 4 and 6 cylinder
engines. The Bosch Platinum's (not the +4's) work great as well on the
smaller engines....without the MSD.

As for longevity, the best experience I had with the Splitfires was with my
old Camaro. It had a bad valveguide and I didn't even realize it until I
changed the plugs. One side of the Splitfire was completely caked from the
edge of the threads up to one of the "V" terminals. The other side of the
"V" was still firing. That sold me on the plugs...and of course changed out
that valveguide as well. (Any other conventional plug would have stopped
firing.) Does that make them any better than the others? (Personal opinion
on that one.)

I've seen the ad on the web for the "Direct Hitz" wires with the spark
amplifier built in to the wire. Uhhhh...they're also the ones selling the
$10.00 "Silver" plugs as well. IMHO, major hype.

- Bernd