Champion Truck Plugs (4071) - Not good

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Nov 06 1999 - 23:44:07 EST

Well, after taking some measurements and comparing the Champion Truck Plugs
(4071) to the Autolites, SplitFires, and Factory Champion Plugs...It turns
out that they are NOT a Projected "Special" Power Tip. This special tip is
what's called for by Dodge, Autolite, NGK, AC-Delco, SplitFire, Motorcraft,
and the regular Champion OEM replacements.

I also noticed that when the gap is set to .050" (for MSD users), the
Champion T/P electrode is bent too far back and only covers 1/2 of the
firing tip. (Not good either.) I'm not trying to dissuade people from
buying them, but it doesn't look like they're designed for what the
application calls for.

>From personal experience, I had replaced my Splitfires with the Truck Plugs
and found that I had lost some performance and MPG. After replacing the
Truck Plugs (300 miles on them) with the Splitfires (5000+ miles on them) I
gained back my MPG and the performance.

$0.02

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX