Re: Cold Vs. Warm Air

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 19:08:50 EST

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 TEDSDAKOTA@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/8/99 11:15:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> vencomatic@ameritech.net writes:
>
> > called an intercooler. This device
> > cools the intake charge down considerably to regain the density that was
> > lost due to the compression and subsequent heating that the super or
> > turbo charger added.
>
> I'd like info on this,,,

  I don't know a whole lot about them, but they are fairly common
on turbocharged vehicles. A little less common on supercharged
engines, but not unheard of. As I understand it, its basically a
"radiator" but for your incoming air charge instead of engine
coolant. There are air to air intercoolers as well as air to
water. Basically, your incoming air runs through a "radiator"
which is hanging out in the airstream somewhere (underneath the
radiator is a common place in many cars), and it cools off your
incoming air charge much the same as a radiator cools down your
engine coolant. (Although an intercooler will flow a lot better
than a plain ol' radiator, I would think.) :-)

  Speaking of intercoolers, I don't recall ever hearing about a
naturally aspirated engine using one. Is this because the restriction
would be too much for a NA engine to pull the air through? Does
it need a blower or a turbo to cram air through it?

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |