tire update

From: fdedip@whale-mail.com
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 00:58:21 EST

Well, I'm feeling chatty, and just thought I'd update you on my extremely expensive tires. If you don't care about my f***in tires, DELETE NOW.
As I've said, I purchased the BFG Sport Truck T/A HR4s, 245/65/15. They cost me $560 ($140 per tire) installed, which left me very poor for a few weeks, and caused every one I know to laugh at me for spending so much on tires.
I love these tires! They will NOT let go of the road. I can't even feel the difference between wet and dry pavement now. Well, sometimes when starting on very wet pavement, I still get a little wheel slip, but nowheres like before. And now, they always grab by the time I hit 2nd gear, where before I sometime had to go to 3rd to take hold. Once moving, they wouldn't dream of slipping.
Braking is dramatically improved, and the steering is incredibly responsive. My new thrill is to take sharp turns as fast as possible so I can have the joy of feeling the rear end snap into line behind the front. Before, it would've just kept going.
I'm not going to bother putting sand in my bed this winter. I won't need it in rain, I'll worry about snow if and when it happens.
OK, I really don't need an "H" speed rating, but it makes me more comfortable knowing I'm never pushing the rating on my tires. The "D" load rating is a comforting thing too, though I haven't been able to figure out exactly what the different letters signify on that.
Plus they just look great!
IMHO (VERY humble), tires are THE most important performance and safety feature on a vehicle. Doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't get it to the road. And if your tires can't get a hold, it won't much matter how good your brakes are (try stopping on ice!)
I think I made the right decision.
Flip

http://www.care2.com - The Best of The Internet...With A Green Twist!