Re: DML Digest V4 #1160

From: Remy Saville (remy@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 21:55:52 EST

> > I've got got a 93 Dakota and I'd like to know what the biggest tire I
> > can fit under it is without rubbing anything.
> That's a matter of some controversy. Assuming you have a 4x4, the
> answers are either 30x9.50 or 31x10.50. I've seen 31's on a '94. The
> owner had to do a bit of fender trimming to get them to clear, but it
> was pretty minimal.

I'll probably give 31s a try then. I've got the "offroad" (hahahaha)
sport Dakota.

> I wouldn't think that Swampers would make good snow tires. Everything
> I've read indicates that you need lots of siping in the tread blocks,
> like a BFG all-terrain. The solid blocks of mud tires just slide across
> the surface of snow. I've never tried it, this is all second-hand
> information, so take it for what it's worth.

Thats what I'm hearing a lot of.

> > (Can you belive my 87 Samurai was cheaper than a 4" lift KIT (only the
> > kit!) for my Dakota!?)
> Yes, yes I can. This fact is what causes me so much stress trying to
> decide whether I want to lift my Dak.

The way I saw it I could spend money on my Dak and it would be worth
maybe 10% more of money I spent vs the value of the Dak plus 100% of the
money I spent on a 2nd rig.

There are more offroad samurai options to buy.

Much easier to work on a simple Samurai; solid front with leafs vs IFS,
carb vs EFI, a small engine you can carry by yourself putting out about
50 hp...

You don't feel bad about scratching a "beater" vs a fairly new truck.

A stock samurai is better (here atleast) off road than my Dak would have
been lifted! That short wheel base (the samurai parked front bumper
beside bumper ends where my extended cab on my Dak ends!) kicks ass for
being able to take lines a "big" Dak couldn't.

> << > Also what to people recommend for an extreme snow tire? I was thinking
> > the Super Swamper SSR for in the winter on my Dakota and then from
> > spring to fall I'll put them on my Samurai for some real offroading.
> >>
> Mud tires are the last thing you want especially the swampers. You need a all
> terrain tire and if you really want traction go have them siped. Most tire

The swamper SSRs come siped (on the inside only, the outside is solid
for more strength). Is there such thing as a good offroad tire (mostly
rock crawling for me) that is good in the snow?

I'm concerned with highway/parking lot snow, not fresh snow on rocks on
the trail. Are mud tires bad to the point of dangerous in this
situation? Like my street all weather tires would be better??