Sure Grip for 96 Dak 4x4

From: Brian Blater (brian@deseretgt.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 18:23:21 EST

I have a 96 4x4 Dak with the 3.55 rear-end (no sure grip.) Were getting
close to the winter season here in Utah and would sure like to improve the
traction on my truck. I was wondering is it better to just have a shop here
install new sure grip gears or go to the junk yard and find a sure grip rear
end and install that?

If I go with option 1, what are some of the traction locks that I should
look at and work good? I don't want something that is bone jarring or really
clunks when it engages. Can anyone recommend a good shop for this work in
Salt Lake City?

Or if I go with option 2, what year rear-ends will fit my year of truck?
Also how can I be sure that the rear axle I'm looking at is a sure-grip? VIN
codes? Codes on the axel etc?

Thanks for your help

Brian B
96 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 CC 5.2l