Re: Burnouts????

From: Robert France (robert@srpl.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 17:01:28 EST

RE: BURNOUTS

The clutch is a sort of sacrifical component in the vehicle which is
designed to wear, the transmission is not really designed to wear:

#1 "Burn-outs" are extremely hard on driveleine components

#2 First gear provides the highest torque multiplication

#3 The higher the torque multiplication, the higher the stresses on the
internal individual components (this is why Detroit went with overdrive
trannys; they tend to overspeed the driveshaft but pass the load to the
rear axle, which is a less expensive part to warranty)

#4 Static coefficients of friction are always higher than dynamic
coefficients of friction for any material; once the tire is spinning, the
load is much lower than when it is stationary

So in the end, you are much more likely to fry the clutch if you try to
burn-out in 2nd gear, but if you have enough torque to overcome the static
load of the tires, this would be better than using 1st gear, therby asking
the transmission to try to multiply your initial lack of torque to a high
enough value to break the tires free, damaging the transmission while
trying...its your clutch, and its your transmission, and, in the end, its
your wallet.