Re: Terrible mileage problem

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 17:08:15 EST

At 01:15 PM 11/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Do you think that the ignition components could cause the problem? It isn't
>missing, and the tailpipe is pretty black, which indicates to me that it is
>running rich most of the time. Any more ideas would be a bonus

Not a cause but just part of checking out that everything is up to snuff
so that it's possible to increase economy i.e. part of a regular tune-up.
With the pipes carboned up (indicating running rich), the spark plugs may be
pretty carboned up and wet as well. Being an older truck, unless you know
for sure
when everything was last done, I think it's a good idea to check everything.

Running rich would indicate that the O2 sensor(s) aren't up to snuff.
You can use a voltmeter test to see what conditions they're in.
A really clogged-up air filter will also cause a rich condition.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.