Re: Mud Flaps

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 12:49:22 EST

At 06:16 PM 11/11/99 , you wrote:
>I picked those up a few weeks ago myself - installing THanksgiving
>weekend (I don't own a drill). I was thinking about modifying the flaps
>a little, and painting the Ram's head red to match the decals on my
>black '99 Sport (kind of like the logo-painting on the wheel caps
>someone did a while back, which I also plan to do). Anyone have any
>good/bad/indifferent experiences with that?

Yeah, I painted the goat...er, Ram's heads on mine white. Went down to
Wal-Mart and bought a small bottle of acrylic paint sold for crafts. Since
the instructions said to use primer before painting (and I didn't have any)
I was a little concerned about how well the paint would adhere. So I spent
the best part of an afternoon using the blade of a small pocket knife to
carefully rough up the rubber where the ram's heads were. Turns out that
was completely unnecessary, the paint stuck very well to the flap. In fact,
I would caution you to use the smallest brush you can find and be extremely
careful when painting. If you get any paint outside the head some of it
will like soak into the rubber and leave a mark no matter how quickly you
wipe it off. Other than that, I've been very pleased with how it turned
out. It's been almost two years and they still look good.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

"We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen
twice as much as we speak."--Epictetus