Re: Dak running poor/MPG poor

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 23:43:56 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <SS454454@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 1999 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: DML: Dak running poor/MPG poor

> you could have a clogged catalitic conveter. see if the exhaust pipe is
> crimped badly anywhere. the muffler could be clogged up too. Do this. When
> the truck is cold get under it and bang on the muffler. If you hear stuff
> falling and crunchies than the mffler is on its way out. Do the same with
the
> catalitic ocnverter. Now you probably have the monolithic kind which looks
> like a thick bug screen if you would look through it, Sometimes they plug
up
> or melt, and they dont allow the exhaust to get out.

 Rob,
This is why I was thinking of replacing the muffler, since it is the stock
factory one with over 112,000 miles on it. The cat. converter I had to get
replaced at 75,000 miles, because it was rattling really really bad. Do they
go bad that often though that this one would be shot already?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6