Re: Tundra Commercial

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 03:52:41 EST

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Ok...I just saw the lamest commercial about the new Toy-Let Tundra. They
> claim it runs just about as fast as the Lotus Esprit in the 1/4 mile...then
> they switch from a Paved Track to a Dirt Track. (Showing the Lotus
> spinning out in the dirt and the Tundra bouncing merrily along the dirt.)
>
> Now who's with me on this one:
>
> Let's call up Toyota and challenge them to a dirt race with our 4x4's (and
> 4x2's)!! I've taken my Dak on worse than what they show in the
> commercial...and am fully confident that we can beat them. ;)
>
> Anyone?

     Yep, I feel your pain. :-) These Tundra commercials are really
starting to tick me off. They border on blatant lies! That Lotus one
isn't *too* bad; I can see how it might be sort've funny the first time
you see it, but that one with the Tundra towing a load and passing a Ram,
F-150, and a Chevy is just that; a load! (A load of what, I'll leave up
to your immagination...) ;-) I think I can say with some certainty
that any one of those trucks could lay waste to that "Toy". Heck, I
think the new Ford can be optioned out to tow 14,000lbs! Grabbing a
camcorder and recording the Tundra trying to move that much weight
would probably win you $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos. Then
they have the nerve to say "Have we gone too far, or have others not
gone far enough?" Yes, Toyota, you *have* gone too far; not with your
sandbox playtruck, but with your advertising! Reminds me of some loser
with an inferiority complex trying to elbow themselves into the "in"
crowd... The very notion of comparing that truck to any of those full
size trucks is downright insulting, much less saying that its better!
The problem with these commercials is that they say it can accellerate
past the trucks "in its class". Well, I'd like to know *exactly* what
Toyota considers the Tundra's "class"??? I didn't get a chance to read
the miles of small print, but I did notice that the Ram had a 3.55 rear,
certainly not the best setup for acceleration or towing. (I wouldn't be
surprised if it had the 6...) The sad thing is that there are probably
people who see these commertials and won't even question them. Actually,
Toyota may be right; the Tundra probably can out-tow anything in its
class, but only because the other trucks in its class are all hanging
on pegs at Toys R Us...

  Ok, I'm done now. :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |