Re: Bad Computer??!!!!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 12:17:48 EST

At 10:22 AM 11/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I talked to a mechanic I know and described the problems I am having with
>my 94 Dak Sport 3.9. I just replaced the O2 sensor, but I am still
>getting an occasional engine light which turns up the code for the sensor.
>Also when this happens the truck runs awful. rough, hesitation especially
>on acceleration. Also, every time I run the codes, code 12 comes up:
>Power(battery) disconnected within the last 50 key cycles. This is
>absolutely not true. I am wondering if this is a sign of a malfunctioning
>computer. My mechanic friend said it must either be the computer of the
>wiring for the O2 sensor. The false battery code makes me suspicious of
>the computer. Anyone have any advice?

A code does not indicate if a specific part is failing or faulty. It
steers you to the circuit(s) in the wiring diagram(s) of the FSM in which
you then perform a diagnostic procedure (in FSM) to begin isolating
the cause.

I've read that code 12 can also be triggered in conjunction with other
codes (don't know what they are though).

If you can get a hold of someone else's computer for your truck, try
that computer to see if any codes are triggered or if you find someone
with a stand-a-lone scanner or PC-based scanning software, it may
give some information about what's happening. At minimum, it should
tell you if your own computer is aok or not.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.