RE: Who has the MPI single plane manifold?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 23:31:15 EST

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Wisotzkey, Rich wrote:

> Hey Jon,
> You say you needed a 3/8 NPT to 1/8 NPT adaptor for your sensor? How many
> holes does you M1 have up front in the water jacket aside from the water
> neck of course? My M1 came with two 5/8 x ? threaded holes, and one 3/8 x
> 24 threaded hole. Looking at my water temperature sensor, it will screw
> right into the 3/8' hole without an adaptor. Just curiously wondering if
> they made a couple changes to the intake.
> Rich

   I didn't use a 3/8 to 1/8 adaptor on mine because I have A/C, and
the driver's side 3/8 NPT hole is obstructed by the A/C compressor. But,
if you don't have A/C, you could use an adaptor to mount your guage
coolant temp sensor there. I used the 1/8 NPT port on the passenger side for
the computer's coolant temp sensor, the passenger side 3/8 NPT hole for
the heater hose, and I blocked off the driver's side 3/8 NPT hole.
(Because the A/C compressor doesn't leave enough room for a fitting
there.) For the guage's coolant temp sensor, I had a custom fitting
CNC machined which allows you to mount the sensor in the upper radiator
hose. (That fitting will be included in the A/C version of the MPI kit.)

  If you'd like to take a look at my MPI, I've got some pics up at:

stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/mpi">http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/attachments/stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/mpi

  The following is an especially good view of the ports:

stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/mpi/18.jpg">http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/attachments/stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu/mpi/18.jpg

  In the above pic, the 3/8" hole on the left (the passenger side) is
blocked off. When I installed the MPI on my truck, its actually the
3/8" hole on the right (driver side) that I blocked off.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |