Re: Trailmaster install update...AARGH! RUB!!!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 11:53:21 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <Killerdak@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>; <jimwilms@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 7:20 AM
Subject: DML: Trailmaster install update...AARGH! RUB!!!

> Couldn't believe that after a 4" suspension lift and a 2" body lift, the
> fender wells are still narrow enough on a '96 to rub. Severely, too...
enough
> to blow out the tires, If i were to drive on them. Well, it was late last
> night when we discovered this, I was hoping I'd be able to turn in the
rental
> car (and drive my Dak home), but alas, until we can correct the fender
> problem, no dice.
>
> Options?
> 1. Go to 3" body lift instead of 2". (rather not, 2" is just enough not to
> look "gappy")
>
> 2. Reduce tire size to 32's instead of 33's. Hmmm, the whole purpose of
> lifting and 33's is to give the Dak maximum allowable clearance for
> offroading. I don't want to go back down to 32's if I don't have to. With
the
> long wheelbase and breakover angle, I need all the lift I can muster.
>
> 3. Trim the fenders. Try like hell not to make it sloppy...
>
> Number three is the option we are going to take a serious look at tonite.
> already took a sawzall to the lower front plastic air dam and cut it short
of
> the front tire (along the vertical seam on the sides). The front part of
the
> fender can be trimmed about an inch or two, we figure, and can be covered
by notching the existing fender flare and stretching it back slightly to
cover.

> The problem is with the back side of the front fender. It's solid. But
there
> DOES appear to be a gap between the Fenderwall and inner floor. The plan
is
> to remove the fenderwall somehow (maybe) and see what kind of space we
have
> to play with. Considering a ton of stuff in the engine bay is attached,
our
> work is definitely cut out for us.
>
> The back tires clear the fenders ok, but if they do any severe
articulation
> they'll probably rub. Not a priority right now (the priority is to make it
at
> least drivable on roads for now). I can figure out how to trim them later.

Dave,
This is exactly why I plan on running 32's. I know you have your heart set
on the 33's though. I have the factory fender flares on my Dak, and I dont
think you do. By adding fender flares, wont you decrease the wheel well
opening even more than it currently is? I did some measuring and the
narrowest(is this a word?) section of the wheel wells are about 32 1/4"
across. So this means that a 32" tire would barely squeeze/stuff into the
wheel well as full compression. A typically 33" BFG would be about an inch
too tall to fit I believe at full compression. I would say that if you
really really really want these 33"s to fit and look good, drive it on over
to a body shop that does custom work and have them trim 2 inches away from
the the entire well, all the way around. You see this all the time n the
4wheelin magazines to gain the extra room not allowed for by the lift kit
when trying to run certain sized tires. Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck
man!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6