Re: Best Cat/Muffler Setup

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 16:49:25 EST

At 03:08 PM 11/18/99 -0600, you wrote:
> <snip>
>I guess I am just curious where would be the best spot to use the reducer
>coupler at, before the muffler or after the muffler? I was thinking it would
>be better to run 3" all the way into the cat, to the muffler, out of the
>muffler and then into the 2.5" tailpipe. I know of the sensitivity of the
>backpressure on out 3.9L V6ers. Any thoughts?
>Kyle 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

As a general rule, improving air flow on the part nearest to the combustion
chambers has the most effect of improving air flow (dynoed-proven in one of
the magazines) while improving the air flow in the part farthest away will
have
the least effect on improving air flow. Headers (assuming proper size and
appropriate design) would have the greatest gain in getting the exhaust
gases out of the chambers, then the next part, etc.

That principle holds true on the intake side as well. Hope this helps
a bit with your decision.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.