Best Cat/Muffler Setup

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 16:08:13 EST

I need some serious help here on deciding on some things!
My current setup involves a 3" pipe(I believe) before the cat going into a
3" Inlet/3"Outlet converter, replaced at a local muffler shop. Then a
reducer coupler is used to go from the 3" cat outlet pipe to 2.5" pipe for
the stock muffler. I want to(no questions asked!!) maintain my stock
pipe(2.5") after the muffler and just play with the cat/muffler. The
replacement muffler would be a 3Chamber Flowmaster(Delta Flow Model). I have
two senarios, which would be better:

1.From the 3" precat pipe, run a 3" Inlet/3"Outlet Converter and then after
that run a 3" Center Inlet Flowmaster/3" Offset Flowmaster and then use a
3-2.5" reducer to hook up with the exhaust pipe.
2.From the 3" precat pipe, run a 3" Inlet/3" Outlet Converter and then use a
reducer couple to use a 2.5" Flowmaster Muffler hooked up into the stock
2.5" pipes.
I guess I am just curious where would be the best spot to use the reducer
coupler at, before the muffler or after the muffler? I was thinking it would
be better to run 3" all the way into the cat, to the muffler, out of the
muffler and then into the 2.5" tailpipe. I know of the sensitivity of the
backpressure on out 3.9L V6ers. Any thoughts?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6