Re: New Cam time

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 08:44:07 EST

At 10:44 PM 11/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
> <snip> Anyway, I want to increase my engine's breathing ability above
>5000 RPM, so I'm in the market for a new cam and possibly 1.6 roller
>rockers for my '96 318 5spd.

John

I'm running with the MP cam and lifter kit and the MP aluminum 1.6 rockers/
pushrods kit. They are CARB approved.

I found that I lost some low end torque but the engine really came alive
and began to pull at about 2800 rpms and up. The stock peak torque is
about 3000 and peak hp is about 4000 (4500 with headers). With the above,
my guess is that peak hp is now at 3300 and peak torque at 4800. The
non-qualitative gain is a stronger and more stable valvetrain that's
needed to run above 5000 rpm. I found that you could take the rpms
to 5500-5800 and still be pulling strongly.

If you really want to realize the potential of the above mods, add any one
of the ported throttle bodies. I use F&B stage 1 tb. It brought back
the lost low end and more, plus added torque and hp to the mid- and
upper-end.

If you decide on the MP cam kit, you'll need to get their recommended
retainers and valve springs as well.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.