Re: Heater core on the way out?

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 11:18:58 EST

In a message dated 11/23/99 8:10:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tsawyer@northchurch.net writes:

> Greetings DML'ers:
>
> I have a '97 4x4 CC 5Spd Sport+ with AC. When I turn on the heater I can
> smell antifreeze.
> I checked out the engine compartment and can find no leaks. I had the
> dealer pressure test the
> cooling system about 4 months ago and everything was fine (they said)...
>
> I have about 80k miles on the truck. Is it normal for the heater core to
go
> at 80k?
>
> How much should it be to get it fixed/replaced? I checked out my hynes
> manual and it
> looked like a couple of hours labor...
>
> thanx!
>
> travis

Dear God, good luck man!! I replaced a heater core on my Kota about a month
ago, not too pleasant...but not at all impossible. The heater core ran me
$52 at pep boys. Much better than the $400+ a shop wanted to do it. Plus, you
know it was done right because you did it yourself, ya know??

If you smell antifreeze, most likely it's going...look on the floor for
antifreeze or on the tranny hump. If you don't see it yet your leak ain't
that bad yet, and it's just a matter of time. You'll notice it will stink
like all hell first, then your defogger will begin to deteriorate in
performance. Do it now before you lose your heat!! Especially going into the
winter season...

Austin
Vipertruck