Re: ATTN BOB was:FYI 24# injectors, results

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 08:05:48 EST

At 10:41 PM 11/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Allright Bob, how do you keep an a**hole in suspence? Dont leave me hanging,
>tell me how to increase the fuel pressure? Mark Kuzia

Sorry, Mark. I signed off 'early' last night. I see that others have
responded though.

Myself, I'd be very careful about increasing fuel pressure for the
reasons mentioned in the other posts. It's not just finding a way to
increase the pressure but also having the computer properly programmed
to handle these changes ... basically, the computer is calibrated to
run a certain size injector under an assumed fuel pressure. When
injectors and pressure are changed, the computer is unaware of it
and problems most likely arise.

If you still want to look into increasing the fuel pressure, at the minimum,
calculate the percentage of fuel-flow increase resulting from increasing
the fuel pressure. Formula is:

     %age increase = injector flow rate x square root of
                      (new fuel pressure/old fuel pressure)

Example: increasing fuel pressure from 43.5 psi to 60 psi using a 38 lb/hr
          injector is 38 x sq.rt of (60/43.5) = 17.4 % increase

MSD offers a s/w program (PN2000) that will estimate injector size.
It also takes into account SC applications and the effect of intercoolers
and compressor efficiences. It outputs a min. and max. injector-size
recommendation.

Hopefully, you haven't become completely confused by now ... I am ...
just trying to describe things.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.