Re: Turbos...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 23:30:07 EST

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com wrote:

> Jon, check with Garrett (Allied Signal) or Banks, they may already have a
> set of headers and such to bolt up turbos to a 318/360 engine. The engines
> are common enough I wouldn't doubt it. A custom set of headers for this
> application might be fairly pricey! You may also want to pull in professional
> assistance from an authorized distributor/installer. High Preformance turbos
> like the Variable Geometry ones are "racing" turbos and may require some
> additional work. Make sure you intercool those beasts, it will keep the
> engine temps down and be better for your motor. I wanna see that thing fly
> when you get it done... Heaven help your tranny, differential, and your wallet
> on the tire bills... ^_^

   Thanks. :-) That header idea is interesting; I'll have to look into that.
Now that I think of it, there is also that guy who was featured in Mopar
Action that twin turbo'd a 'Cuda using a 360ci crate motor. Its a long shot,
but maybe those headers are stored in the computer of a tube bender
somewhere...

  VNT: Looks like I've got to do some more research here. Sounds like
the VNT might be the hot setup, but perhaps more expensive and complex
than I should get into; maybe a normal turbo with a boost regulator would
be a better setup for a daily driver.

  Intercoolers: For sure! I'll probably cool off the motor a bit with a
nice cold shot of nitrous too. ;-)

   I plan to replace the rearend with an 8.75 or 9.25, and the tranny
with a competition or pro/street 727. As far as the tires go, I hope
to move the springs inboard (or convert to coil-over) and get at least 300
series tires under there, at the very *least*. I don't really want to
have to tub it at this point in my thinking, but I might trim some sheet
metal to make it work. Anyway, hopefully 300-400 series (11-15" wide)
meats will help out some in the traction department.

   Unfortunately, this is all a very long way off. I've got debts and
boring stuff to take care of first. :-( I wonder how long it'll be
before I have a track official come over and tell me, "Uhhhh, you know
you need a cage in that thing, right?" ;-)

  Of course, the prime directive will be to maintain its daily driver status.
It wouldn't be any darn fun if I couldn't drive it on the street all
the time. :-) (I'll definitely need a 4x4 Dak for the winter though...)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |