Re: RE: Re: Hughes Engines Cam selection - Frank

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 12:56:59 EST

In a message dated 11/26/99 12:22:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jmautz@home.com writes:

<< The next step in the Hughes line would be the HER1218AL. The main
difference
 is the exhaust lift is .527 and the duration is longer (in/out = 215/220 @
 .050 tap. lift). The rest is about the same. Does this sound like a better
 cam for my situation?? I know that loss of low end torque will really kill
 me because of the weight of my 4x4 Durango. >>

I ran a .512" lift and a 210/220 deg dur @ .050" cam in my full size Ram
SS/T. It was on a 112 deg LSA, so it was fairly choppy for a computer
controlled vehicle. I wouldn't want to go any larger.

Low end did take a loss, but I had a 2400 stall along with 4.10 gears
installed and that took care of that problem. Midrange-top end was explosive,
especially with the Vortech forcing all that air in ..

In a 4x4 truck (especially if you plan on using the 4x4, or towing anything),
I would go with a little bit milder cam on a wider LSA.

ttyl
Patrick
http://surf.to/rdperformance