Re: air hat holddown bolts

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 16:15:49 EST

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Jon Smith wrote:

> Popped the hood to find the air cleaner sitting on the firewall, broken
> S-bolt.. can't find my stock assembly which I'd rather use now.. does any
> of the TB guys sell a hardened S-bolt? damn glad it stayed in 2 peices
> instead of feeding one to the motor... *shiver shiver*

    Wow, this is pretty weird! At the Toronto meet yesterday, I popped
my hood in the parking lot to discover my 14" FABM hanging back by the
firewall, held in place mostly by the relocated IAT sensor in the base!
Most of the S-bolt was hanging from the lid, the rest is buried in the
F&B Stage II TB. Fortunately, I've got my stock bracket and a spare
TB. You might just want to go to the hardware store and un-bend a
threaded U-bolt or something for a temporary solution. I too am glad
it didn't get fed to the engine; with the single plane M1, there isn't
much to block the path to the intake ports! I have heard of another person
on the DML whose K&N s-bolt broke into a few pieces, some of which *did*
get ingested by the engine and caused some severe damage. (I'm also glad
nothing went forward, into the pullies or fan!) Mine snapped inside the
hole in the TB; where did yours break?

    I'm planning to stop by the machine shop tomorrow to see if they
can recommend a material better suited to this task. Hopefully they
will be able to create something much stronger, but which will also
be easy to adapt for different heights. If so, and if anyone else is
interested, I can have a bunch made up; otherwise I'll just have one
made for myself.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |