Re: First Snowfall

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 16:07:20 EST

At 11:05 AM 11/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
> <snip> We got about 6 inches of snow, and I am really disappointed
>with the Goodyears so far. I got the 31" X 10.50" - 15" <snip>
>What recommendations do you all have? I had BFG A/T before on an "ahem"
>Ranger, and they seemed to work well. Has anyone had a better experience
>with tires other than BFG's?
>Thanks in advance! Chris Currie - 2000 CC, 4X4, V6, 5Spd, IB

Hi, Chris

Boy, 6" ... better get at mine and make the change. I've been
using 235/75R15 Blizzaks for the past couple of winters on the Dak.
They are the best winter (snow/ice) tires that I've used (and I've
been through a lot of winters).

You probably get more snow in Sarnia than down here ... maybe
3-4 heavy dumps here ... mostly the icy/slushy stuff. The 235/75s
would be a pretty good size ... tall enough to get concentrated
weight on the patch at the ground and not too wide a tread patch
... pretty effective in the deep snow in my experience.

While A/T and M+S have aggressive tread patterns, they lose flexibility
when temperatures drop because of the rubber compound.

If the budget can handle it, get 4 AR-767 steel rims (least expensive
for our trucks) for the tires. If the budget can't, mounting/removing the
snows on the stock rims is okay for one winter.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.